Whether you have already attended some of Portland's various Gypsy Jazz Jams or would like to in the future, this class will prepare/aid you in many ways.
Tracy Kim has hosted the GJJW (Gypsy Jazz Jam Workshop) for over 5 years.
In this class, Tracy will focus on the following topics:
- Jam session etiquette
- Core repertoire for Gypsy Jazz
- Following and understanding song forms(how not to get lost!)
- Trading twos, fours, eights
- Building lick repertoire and some easy soloing tricks and concepts written in Tracy's various études (will be passed out in class)
- Connecting the dots: we will take some common song forms and progressions and demonstrate how they can applied to countless other tunes!
- How to sight read charts(learn to analyze quickly and simplify/memorize tunes)
- Techniques on learning melodies
This will be a fun class! Great to bring a buddy or meet new folks to jam.
Teacher's Web Site: